Critical Reflection

Good day! My name is Wei Yan, and I am writing this final critical reflection with regards to my experience and opinion throughout the 13 weeks for the module ME1281 Effective communication.

The initial goals set by myself was to improve on speaking skills, writing skills and ultimately, to be an effective communicator. I am extremely satisfied and happy to say that my hard work and efforts have paid off, enabling myself to present more confidently along with better writing skills. It was a huge improvement since the first lesson whereas I have to interact with other peers in the class during the ice-breaking activities as well as pairing up with other peers to work on the writing skill which includes paraphrasing and citations. With the guidance and assistance from Professor Brad, sufficient opportunities were given to allow students to speak up during the face-to-face classes which is a very good practice for students to improve on their oral skills and written skills. 

For the mock oral presentation, I did not perform to the ideal standard I thought it would be, due to the lack of practice and rehearsal. From then onwards, with the evaluation and constructive feed back from peer, and most of the feed backs gathered were regarding monotonous tone, lack of passion & confidence. This has allowed me to refine on the speaking skills and work on my weak points. With ample practice & rehearsal with my teammates to prepare us for the actual oral presentation. We eventually did well for it, and were complimented for our design proposal idea as it was something that was viable in a sense that it can be implemented now with the current technology. 

I was appointed to lead the project group, called Smart Chope for the design proposal. Working with my teammates, Alexander & Wora have given me so much experience in various areas such as the design process, and cooperatively working with one another. Most importantly, as a leader of the project, I have to ensure a smooth process and keeping track of the assignment. Working in a team can be tough if there was are no cooperation among the teammates, for the brainstorming process, it was tough since there were other alternative ideas to be considered. However, we came to a conclusion and eventually selected Smart Chope. By communicating effectively, which aligned with the module objective, we had a smooth process in managing this group project as well as aligning our thoughts have gave this project a success that enabled us to strive forward and be creative as well as remaining realistic. Most importantly, I realised that without the help of my teammates, Alexander and Wora, it would be utterly impossible to bring Smart Chope to the current stage.

With that, I would like thank my teammates, Alexander and Wora for being excellent teammates for the project Smart chope and hopefully, we could further expand this idea and implement it into the near future. I would like to thank Professor Brad for giving me ample opportunities to progressively practice and sharpen both my speaking and writing skills since day one. These skills are exceptional important and beneficial as it that can be used in the future, as well as enabling myself to be a better and effective communicator.

Best Regards
Sim Wei Yan
ME1281-T6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Submission 1: Descriptive Reflection

Summary Analysis Draft 4

Task 3D: The Importance of communication skills for engineers