Submission 1: Descriptive Reflection

Dear Professor Blackstone

I am Wei Yan, a student from MEC1281 effective communication class, T6. I am writing this letter to everyone in hopes that you will get to know me better. 

I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in Aeronautical & Aerospace Technology with a specialization in aircraft system testing.

During my period of studies, I was exposed to various types of aircraft components and developed an interest in the mechanism of a component, which was the flight control system in a propeller aircraft. The basic mechanism of the control stick in a plane's cockpit that is operated by "fly-by-wire" method that allows aircraft to maneuver in 3 ways in the air, which are, pitch, roll and yaw. Therefore, this had eventually led me to pursue a degree in Mechanical Engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology.

"Everything negative - pressure, challenges - is all opportunity for me to rise" - Kobe Bryant

From the quote, there will always be obstacles in life which relate in a manner that allows me to turn the tide whenever challenges and obstacles up rise. Thus, I see myself as a team player when it comes to a group project as I can coordinate with my peers and colleagues during my time in Nanyang Polytechnic and my internship at ST Aerospace. I also have the determination to overcome my obstacles and learn from others to work on my weak points, such as my lack of confidence in speaking and lack of clarity in projecting my thoughts, and ideas in discussions. 

My main goals that I would like to achieve for this module is to develop the confidence in public speaking and the necessary technical writing skills in order to be a better communicator. With that, I am looking forward to improving myself under the guidance of Professor Blackstone and from my peers.

Best regards,
Wei Yan


Commented on Alexander's, Claire's & Shaun's post.

-Revised 

Comments

  1. Hello Wei Yan! Thank you for the clear and courteous introduction that you have written. It allowed me to get to know you better as a person!! Very good use of the quote from Kobe Bryant that made your reflection more exciting and fun! I find that adding more examples can make your introduction more concrete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alexander,

      Thank you for your opinion, I really appreciate it. It has given me a better idea on how to improve my reflection.

      Best Regards,
      Wei Yan

      Delete
  2. Hi Wei Yan! Thank you for your introduction, it is very clear and it has allowed me to understand you better. I think it will be good if you can explain more about your weakness as it will make your personal reflection more complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Claire,

      Thank you for your thoughts on my reflection. I really appreciate it, as it allowed me to further improve on my reflection writings.

      Best Regards,
      Wei Yan

      Delete
  3. Dear Wei Yan,

    Thanks for this brief introductory letter. It's informative in the broadest sense, but you need to explore issues in more depth for the 'wow' factor to be achieved. You write, for example, that in your studies you were "exposed to various types of aircraft components and also developed an interest in the mechanism of a component," but you don't add meat to that bone. Give me an example of some aircraft that you studies; explain how you've been inspired to look at the components involved in its achieving flight, or ascending and descending, or in its power generation. You need to illustrate your interest this in concrete terms. Doing so will allow you to write a more credible letter. This one clocks in at around 220 words, which is far short of my expectation.

    Alex gives his thumbs up for your including the Kobe Bryant qoute. For me, even there, you just plop that into your letter. What does it mean to you. How does that connect to being a team player?

    In terms of language use, there are very few issues to consider. (Just check out your use of caps.) This is quite a fluent letter. That's why I want to see you put more serious effort into the content. You have the ability to write, but you need to give attention detail, attention to the organization of robust ideas to really make this letter lift off.

    I look forward to seeing how you improve this, Wei Yan.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Blackstone,

      Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my writing. I will keep in mind the feedbacks and advices that you have addressed and will amend accordingly to further improve on my writing.

      I look forward to be a better communicator in this module.

      Best Regards,
      Wei Yan

      Delete
  4. Apologies for the gammtical mistakes in my comments. I wrote it fast, then want to publish so as not to lose my ideas, but now I can't seem to edit my comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Analysis Draft 4

Task 3D: The Importance of communication skills for engineers